Workflow for membership
This screencast shows the workflow for applying for, approving, and managing group memberships. It covers:
- Some permissions relevant for managing OG membership workflow (including permission to bypass the approval step).
- How regular users can apply for membership to a group.
- How adminitrators can approve/deny membership applications (and add roles and stuff, too).
- That you can create lists of membership applications in Views (but no shown example of this).
- That you can use the Organic groups registration module (in OG project) to allow users to apply for group membership on site registration. (See below.)
- That teaching others is a great way to learn a lot about Drupal.
Using the Organic groups registration module turned out to be a bit more tricky than expected. The steps are as follows:
- Enable the module.
- Add the group register field to your group entity.
- Edit the groups you want to be available on site registration, and set their field values to Show on registration page.
- Finally – and this was the tricky one – make sure that the field group audience on user accounts is configured to show on the registration form.
- Note that you can select which membership type to use during registration, by setting an option for this in the group audience field.