Rules Bonus Pack: Using Rules for presentation altering
This screencast shows how you can use Rules to alter the presentation of your Drupal site, such as:
- Enabling, disabling and moving blocks around
- Setting HTML title element and also on-page titles
- Setting body classes
- Setting the active menu item (using Menu Position)
Some bigger questions about using Rules for altering presentation is also discussed:
- Using Rules for presentation altering is relatively heavy. (It consumes about 2.5 MB more PHP memory than Context, and has about the same loading times – judging from a first, rough comparison.)
- Using Rules for presentation altering gives a more complex UI than the interface use for modules made for more particular use cases.
- It is possible for modules to provide alternative user interfaces to Rules.
- Rules allows reusing actions in many different situations, between different modules.
- Rules (and Entity API) provides generalized data handling.